Friday, July 15, 2011

God's Hand

Don't you just love it when God sends you a Bible verse or passage at just the right time? While I can think of quite a few examples of this in my life, Proverbs 3:27-28 comes to my mind immediately.

In the summer of 2009, I opened up my then-favorite translation of the Bible (The Message by Eugene Peterson) to these two little verses. So let me tell you a little something about that summer.

2009 gave me the toughest summer I had ever seen. God really tried and tested me. One test in particular, actually the main event of that summer for me, came in the form of a new-found friend who shall be referred to as Brie. Brie and I had met in 2008 through mutual friends, then finally hit it off in spring of 2009. A little too quickly we became inseparable, closer than sisters. As the friendship progressed (or in some ways, regressed), new details came to light. One of those said details was that my dearest Brie had been battling with depression and suicidal tendencies.

And I just didn't know what to do.

I'd never been put in a situation like that. There was no 7th Heaven episode with explicit guidelines on how I should handle this information! It was never covered on Boy Meets World! (Well, I'm sure that there was some time devoted to depression, especially in 7th Heaven's case. But still.) I knew I needed to help my friend, but how? How would I go about that? I was so afraid of what might happen if I told someone what was going on--but I was even more afraid of what would happen if I didn't.

So, knowing God, and how He has impeccable timing, I "stumbled upon" these verses:

Never walk away from someone who deserves help; your hand is God's hand for that person. Don't tell your neighbor, "Maybe some other time," or "Try me tomorrow," when the money's right there in your pocket.

36 words in all, Proverbs 3:27-28 came to me at the most perfect time imaginable. I still believe, to this very day, that those 36 words saved her life. I find it so amazing that God used something written years before Christ's birth to save somebody's life in 2009. Looking back, I can see that I was God's hand in that friendship.

These tiny little verses impacted not only Brie's life, but mine as well. And you know what? The great thing about God's Word is that it's the gift that just keeps on giving and nothing can stop it. God can use my past experiences to help you. And since He's a creative, conscious God, He can recycle them for me. I can once again learn my own lesson!

One thing that I especially drew from the whole ordeal was that I waited too long. I had known about her problems for awhile, yet I just sat there and let them worsen. I would offer my sympathies, maybe say a short prayer here, a little bit of a longer prayer there. But did I do anything? No, not really. Not until I opened my eyes to see what God was trying to tell me. When I finally did, I got Brie the help she needed. Though it was tough, I did what needed doing. In the end, I sacrificed the friendship for the friend.

But something we have to realize is that God doesn't specialize in comfortable callings. While He offers us comfort and safety in His name, He never once claimed that life His way would be easy! In fact, the Bible is filled with God's people being persecuted and tried and oppressed. But here's the good, glorious news:

We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed--always carrying about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body.
~ 2 Corinthians 4:8-10 (NKJV)

The beauty in that passage is that we are enduring such horrors without defeat because of Jesus. While there are so many fantastic theological discussions to be had on those three verses, the point that I'm trying to make here is this: our surroundings do not decide the livelihood of our joy.

The people and circumstances around me do not make me what I am, they reveal who I am. 
~ Laura Schlessinger

We are called to survive these great difficulties triumphantly. (I totally just heard Keanu Reeves say that in my head. If you get this reference, I'm exceedingly proud of my generation. If not, I hereby command you to go and watch Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.) Though my difficulties with Brie were not what the apostles faced, they were deserving of the title "difficulties". There was much pain involved on both sides. Although I honestly really don't know how Brie's doing today, I do know that God used her situation in my life to bring Himself glory. And to begin to bring me back to Him.

If you read my 'about me' page, you'd have seen that I mentioned 2009 bringing me closer to God. Well, it was through the entire Brie ordeal. Although things reverted back to their old nature with the evolution of time, God's power as demonstrated in the summer of 2009 was truly just the beginning. It was a holy seed, planted to bring me where I am today.

So how about this: let yourself help somebody else. Allow God to work in that situation to not only help those in need, but to instruct you as well. Attach yourself to the vine. Become a branch. Bear fruit for God's glory. (John 15:5)

Reach out. Be a hand of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment