Saturday, July 23, 2011

I'm an ex-con.

I bet you weren't expecting to hear that now, were you? (Honestly, I wasn't really expecting to, either.) But when inspiration comes... you have to accept it. And then make use of it.

Today's inspiration, in a roundabout way, actually comes from The Inn of the Sixth Happiness, which is one of my favorite movies. I love the movie for about a billion reasons. Not only is the acting fantastic, but it's well-scripted, heartbreaking, inspiring, touching, and not to mention based on the true story of a missionary to China. If you've not seen it, I recommend it heavily. Although I don't usually seek out "old" movies (this one came out in '58), I adore this one. Okay, enough of my gushing.

So while we were watching the movie back on Mother's Day, there was this one scene where a character sacrifices his life for a group of children. I hadn't been in the room for the entire movie, so I asked my dad if that character was a convert. But you know how men are when they're watching movies--they don't usually hear you. And if they do, they usually don't hear you correctly. My father's answer? "Yeah, he was a convict."

At the time, his response made my brother and I laugh. My father's answer seemed so different from my question and it wasn't until just recently that I realized something: what I asked and what he answered went hand in hand.

Think about this for a minute. We all know what a convert is; it's someone who was once not a Christ follower who then becomes one. (This is the story of every Christian and the potential tale of everyone else.) And we all know what a convict is; it's someone who was, well--convicted of a crime, typically sentenced to some sort of punishment. And then an ex-convict is someone who had been convicted of the past, but has since served or been relieved of their sentence.

So, bear with me here. If you're a Christian, it means you've been convicted of your sins. You've realized them, and moreover, you've realized the One who can redeem them. If salvation were a courtroom drama, you'd be the defendant, Jesus would be your lawyer, and God would be the Judge. (More about how God can be both just and merciful simultaneously at another date.) The default sentencing for criminals is death and a life full of nothing but punishment. However, since you've got yourself a good lawyer and a passionate judge, you can get out of the death sentence! Before you know it, the trial's over. But wait--you have all those fees to pay your lawyer.

The great thing about making Jesus our lawyer is that He doesn't charge you thousands of dollars. Instead, He asks you for your life. He asks you to spread the news that He's an excellent lawyer. He asks you to take this second chance at life and make His time working for you worthwhile. He wants you to help those who are less fortunate. And He wants you to help them without reserve. After all, that's what He did for you!

For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.
~ Galatians 5:13 (NKJV)

Make the most of your freedom. Embrace your identity as an ex-con and never forget your lawyer.

Therefore, remember that you [were] once Gentiles in the flesh, … that at that time you were without Christ, being aliens to the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenant of promise, having no hope. … 
~ Ephesians 2:11-12 (NKJV)

Though you may be acquitted, at times you will feel like the sentence looms above your head. All I can say is this: serve your time. Know that your lawyer is on your side. Know that your judge wants what's best for you. Humble yourself to the level of your inmates. Be gracious when you receive parole,

For if we sin willfully after we have received knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful expectation of judgment. ...
~ Hebrews 10:26-27

And whatever you do--pay your fees. Respect the judge. And don't violate your parole.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome parallel! I've never heard it explained like that before! My mom actually just read the book that movie was based on, oddly enough called the Inn of the Eight Happiness. And she was telling me all about it! It was an amazing story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, I really felt like that metaphor was inspired. I probably didn't write it all that well, but... who cares? :P Yes, it's an amazing story!! :) Love it.

    ReplyDelete