Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Give it a try.

For several years straight, I was heavily involved in theater. In just 3 1/2 years, I managed to take part in 3 plays and 7 musicals. Though I didn't really know it at the time, acting became my crutch. I hadn't truly discovered God yet. I worshiped performing.

During the time that I was actually in theater, I took for granted much of what my directors, choreographers, and voice coaches taught me. I was naive and a little cocky. Though they imparted upon me a lot of knowledge, I didn't really take any of it to heart. I shoved it to the back of my mind and went on with the show. Since I had always been a performer to some extent, I thought that I didn't really need any of this formal training. And actually, my directors took both formal and informal approaches to their teaching, all of which I took for granted.

It's been about a year since I was in a full-on show, though I've done a few skits and talent shows since then. By the time I finished the most recent show, I was simply burnt out. The high that I got from performing was no longer there. I needed something else, something more. Don't get me wrong, I still loved performing -- but it simply wasn't enough. I needed God.

Recently, though, I've started trying some new things, such as volunteering at church and playing violin. (Among other things.) And finally -- after all those years -- I understood something that my director had taught me.

Several years ago, I was at "my" theater's audition for a musical that had some filler parts for cheerleaders. I already had a supporting role that I was happy with, so I just sat back and watched those auditions. And I'm glad I did; I learned something extremely valuable.

In order to get one of those parts, you had to be able to do a cartwheel. (Among a few other things.) Always the opportunist, my director turned that into a lesson. (I'm going to paraphrase him here.) "When it comes to auditions like this," he said, "never say 'but I can't do that.' Always say, 'I can do my best and give it a try.' Even if you don't get that specific part, the people casting will notice that you're willing to stretch yourself and test your limits. Don't let an opportunity get away from you simply because you didn't try."

Wow. I didn't realize it back then, but now I've come to appreciate this extremely valuable lesson. There have been many times just recently that I have opted out of saying "I can't" and into saying "I can try." I can't even begin to describe how much this has helped me, not only in "regular" things, but also in God things.

If He asks me to do something, He knows that, through Him, I am capable. Instead of complaining to Him that "I can't" do something, I should respond with a willing attitude and a cheerful heart. This reminds me of something Mother Teresa once said:

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much.

But whatever God gives us, it is for a purpose. Perhaps it will be like Abraham sacrificing Isaac -- even though God doesn't actually want us to do that, He wants us to trust Him enough to give it a shot and to just heed His call. And don't forget --

... Whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men.
~ Colossians 3:23 (NKJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment